Quick and easy Vegan Mango Lassi
The summer afternoons are often spent looking for chilled and refreshing drink to beat the heat. Indian Lassi, traditionally a part of Punjabi cuisine, is a perfect sunny day buddy.
People generally think of Lassi as a non-vegan beverage because of the use of yoghurt. However, very few people know that we can make an amazing Lassi using dairy-free vegan alternatives too. So let's make a yummy, chilled vegan lassi at home and what better than a Mango Lassi.
Let's take a look at the ingredients
- 2 ripe Alphonso mangoes (Or Alphonso mango pulp if fresh mangoes are not available)
- 1 cup of plain Almond milk yogurt ( Non-vegan folks can use whole milk yoghurt)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
- 2 ice cubes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon crushed pistachio nuts (For garnishing)
- 6 saffron twigs (For garnishing)
Cooking Time :
- Chop the mango into small dices.
- Add the chopped mango pieces, a cup of plain Almond milk yoghurt, two ice cubes to the blender ( You can add a table spoon of maple syrup if you prefer the Lassi to be more sweet)
- Blend the mixture for 2 minutes. ( You can vary the blending time depending upon how smooth or thick you want the Lassi to be)
- Pour the fresh blend into serving glasses (Lassi is traditionally served in clay cup known as Kulhar) and garnish it with a 1 teaspoon crushed pistachio nuts and 5-6 saffron twigs and it’s ready to serve.
Lassi is a very ‘flexible’ drink.
The ingredients can be changed based on their availability and your preferences. If Alphonso mango is not available, you can use any other pulpier mango. If you prefer the drink to maintain its consistency, you can use chilled yoghurt instead of adding ice cubes. Instead of Almond milk yoghurt, you may consider using some other dairy-free yogurt. I sometimes use coconut milk too. We can use mint leaves and sliced almonds for garnishing too.
Lassi is a very healthy, nutritious and refreshing drink. It aids in digestion and that is the reason why is it generally served after a heavy meal in India.
Do try out this recipe and please do let us know how it turned out by leaving a comment below.
Also if you would like to read similar interesting recipes in future or receive special discount offers on Alphonso or Hapus mangoes from Mangoes4U please subscribe to our free newsletter at the bottom.